Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Routine

I'm tired of hearing about routine.

We all have routine, in our own little ways. Pretty sure everybody still gets up in the morning; maybe they even shower or brush their teeth (let's hope).

But really now-- I've heard more of "I'm tired of this routine" comments in the last two weeks than I have in a long time. And maybe it's because I've said it myself.

I know there are always going to be those little things- our laundry, work, watering the plant- that become routine. So the problem is........................?

I have no excuse for myself when I complain of the boredom of routine. It's my own fault if I can't pick out even small amusements to get me through the day.

I met a homeless man yesterday who asked me for change. I had just finished literally scraping the bottom of my ginormous purse for any sort of change as to avoid a parking ticket to the best of my ability (all I found was a dime which covered me for six minutes).

I got out of my mother's car (using hers because a damn deer hit mine a week ago) and he asked. I honestly told him I was out. I was about halfway into starbucks to get my monday latte when I broke my routine. I asked the gentleman if I could buy him a coffee. He was probably about 78. Turned out he simply wanted one of those .95 bagels. So I bought him a bagel and a gift card. He told me, this elderly white man, that his name was Mike Jackson. I almost laughed out loud, but I handed him that bagel, sadly smiled and watched him walk down the street. It looked like he hadn't eaten in a while.

So my day- my "routine" of work and life, was broken by a choice to buy Mike Jackson a one dollar bagel. Then I got to do Young Life stuff in the evening. There's no such thing as routine when you're chilling with high schoolers. But I chose to go to Young Life.

Seems like there's a pattern of choice here...

Today I chose to wear something that made me happy. I chose to stay home this morning and work on my stories instead of wallowing in my office.

So yes. It's routine. I'm not taking any vacations or making any big immediate plans. But I'm choosing to slip little pieces of crazy, or unexpected, or random into my life. And it's destroying my routine.

2 comments:

  1. you have given me a great challenge to have new and good ways to display courage.

    so glad for you that you are seeing new things and breaking routine. it is wonderful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe not seeing as much as actually doing...

    so it's wonderful, difficult and rather daunting. but breaking routine will be worth it (I hope :) )

    ReplyDelete