Thursday, July 29, 2010

Donuts

I figured it was time that I wrote a post about dieting. Those seem to be a mandatory piece if you're writing a blog, so here goes:

I dislike dieting. However, I am 24. I do not have the metabolism that I possessed in high school, and cannot eat whatever I want with the hopes that my thighs will overlook the latest intake of donuts.

I have angry thoughts that I know there are girls who will never have an issue with their metabolism slowing and can therefore eat whatever they want without fear of the repercussions of exploding out of their jeans. Okay, that sounds gross. But you get the point.

By the way- I'm drinking a Diet Coke while I'm writing this.

The summer before I turned 18, I worked out on my family's elliptical every day. Every. Day. I cut my snacking to basically nothing and ate with only health in mind. Granted, I've never been a *huge* chocolate fan, so it wasn't the worst thing in the world to give up refined sugars. In three months, I lost 10 pounds. That's a big deal for a chick that's 17. I remember what I wore on my first day of Senior Year- because I could fit this pair of utterly gorgeous capris.

Now, I didn't exactly get flabby my senior year, but I basically lost all muscle mass, proven by the fact that my prom dress didn't exactly fit the way it did when I first tried it on. I still enjoyed prom, though.

Then I went to college. I ate sugar cereal consecutively. I ate bagels. I was introduced to corn nuggets. Just about everything in Oklahoma is fried- or someone has considered frying it. Fried pickles (kill me). Fried green tomatoes (I thought those were only in movies). Fried Ravioli (I thought those were only in St. Louis).

I didn't gain very much weight my freshman year, which actually surprises me. But then sophomore year hit, and I actually started studying and staying up late. Some people drink water to stay awake. I eat. So the Freshman 15 didn't become a reality. But the Sophomore 17 was basically there. In actuality, I think the total was about 10 pounds during the entire course of university.

AND THEN- I graduated. I stopped eating late. I stopped snacking. I lost about 10 pounds again. BUT THEN- I discovered alcohol. Why can't they make diet Tequila? Probably because it would be utterly awful. Just saying.

Now when I go to the grocery store, I buy TV dinners for every lunch, chicken to make for dinner (although I usually eat a granola bar instead) and cereal for breakfast (which I actually do occasionally eat). I recently asked the cashier at King Sooper's if she can tell when the shopper is a single person (I had about 12 boxed foods). She said no, but I believe it was out of niceness.

But somehow, I seem to remain hungry all the time. Boo on you, Maren's stomach!

I recently (well, about two months ago) found myself joining the Y. Honestly (really) don't care if I lose weight. I just like feeling comfortable in my clothes. I don't need new clothes. I need to feel better in the ones I already have. But that requires less food and more working out. This is a combination that I don't particularly like.

Granted, if losing weight, or 'feeling better in my clothes' was easier, I wouldn't care about it or work very hard. Blurg. Add that to the list of things I "should" be doing.

I once heard a friend say that he sincerely believed that his sister-in-law had cancer due to the caramel coloring in soda. Welp, I'll either die of obesity or cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment